Cover photo for Arnold Ashby's Obituary
1939 Arnold 2022

Arnold Ashby

April 17, 1939 — November 27, 2022

Born April 17, 1939, at the McGregor Hospital of St. George Utah to Maiben Bennett Ashby and Elsa Clara Wohlgemuth of St. George Utah.

Arnold has an older brother, Maiben, that only lived for a day. He also has four younger sisters Viola, Selma Ann, Karen and Elsa.

Dad was baptized 3 of May 1947, ordained by his father a Deacon April 22, 1951, a Teacher May 2, 1954 a Priest May 22, 1955. He held various priesthood responsibilities during his teenage years.

Dad attended grade school in St. George and was in the same scout group as Elder Jeffery R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. The two of them also delivered newspapers for Arnold's father.

One of Dad's favorite things to do was to build balsa wood airplanes. He had several displayed around his room and many others in boxes waiting to be put together. He was always very detailed and organized.

Dad graduated from Woodward High School (Lower Division) the 18 of May 1955. He then attended Dixie High School and graduated the 24 of May 1957. After high school Dad attended Dixie Junior College and graduated with an Associate of Arts degree the 29 of May 1959.

At Dixie College, Dad met Mom when they had speech and drama classes together. Dad and Mom were cast as the Grandparents in the play "The Importance of Earnest." Mom and Dad always joked about being Grandparents before they were even married. During college Dad also worked at the local radio station as a DJ and had a program called "Uncle Arn's Scrub Club." It is no wonder that Dad found success on the radio, he has always had a fantastic voice and all throughout his life people have commented on how clear and nice his voice was. We as children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren have always appreciated Dad calling us on our birthdays and wishing us a happy birthday.

Dad was ordained an Elder by his father on the 31 of August 1958. He was called to serve a mission in Germany for two and half years. While there he had many opportunities to lead and serve. During this time Dad and Mom's fondness for each other grew as they corresponded back and forth. It was also an interesting time for him as well, due to the fact that while in Berlin he saw how neighborhoods were torn apart by the construction of the Berlin wall. I have never seen my Dad cry as much as he did when the Berlin wall finally came down.

Dad returned from his mission late in the evening on December 23, 1961. The two and a half years had been too long for him, so early the next morning Dad went to the bank, withdrew his money, walked next door to the jewelers and bought a ring. He then convinced his younger sister, Elsa, to go with him from St. George to Leamington. In Leamington he asked Grandpa Lovell if he could marry Mom. Grandpa Lovell consented, and then Dad convinced Mom to go with him and Elsa back to St. George so she could participate in the German tradition of opening Christmas presents on Christmas Eve.

That night, on Christmas Eve, Mom received the ring Dad had bought that morning. Mom, although very surprised, readily accepted. (Mom's patriarchal blessing mentioned that they had chosen each other in the pre-mortal world.) Dad, ever the impatient one, married Mom 26 days later on the 19 of January 1962 in the St. George Temple.

The following Monday Dad started school at the University of Utah in Salt Lake. Soon after Mom began teaching elementary school. Mom only taught school for a couple of years and then Jeff came along on the last day of school and Mom became a fulltime mother. During this time Dad worked as a manager of a trailer park in Salt Lake City.

In the ensuing years Mom and Dad moved back to St. George and Randon, Anjanette and Durell joined the family. Back in St. George Dad worked for various companies and even ran for political office, and we are all so grateful that he did not win.

While in St. George he was called into the Bishopric and was ordained a High Priest on the 2nd of April 1966 by Gordon B. Hinckley of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He also started working for Mutual of Omaha insurance company and that decision is what led them back to Salt Lake as he took a position in a new office in Salt Lake. Moving back to Salt Lake allowed Dad to continue his studies towards becoming a CPA at the University of Utah.

Back in Salt Lake, James, Brian and Alayne joined the family.

Dad continued to work on his CPA degree and ended up leaving Mutual of Omaha to work as an accountant for Humble Brothers where he was instrumental in bringing in one of the first punch tape computers for accounting. A few years later he moved to Eagle F-B Truck lines as an accountant but his time there was short as other pieces came together for him to join Industrial Container and Supply. At Industrial Container he helped them set up their first computer system and brought all their accounting in house. After several years the owners of Industrial Container sold the business to Dad and his business partners. Dad and his partners took the business to new heights and new buildings. He remained there until he retired and was bought out by his partners.

Soon after their return to Salt Lake, Dad was called as a counselor in the Granger North Stake Presidency, where he served for 6 years. Dad was then called as the Stake President and served another 9 years. After 17 years in the Stake Presidency, he didn't have long to rest because he was called to be the Bishop of the Redwood Ward where he served along with Mom for another 6 years. He was always a fantastic speaker and teacher of the gospel. There have been many that have been touched and blessed by his leadership, teaching and example. Many have stated that he was one of their favorite leaders.

Dad and Mom's favorite calling is the one they shared before Mom passed, Dad being a Sealer in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple and Mom being a shift coordinator. They were able to work with many of their dear friends and family in the House of the Lord.

After Dad's first stroke he always talked about getting back to the temple. He wanted so badly to get back there so that he could feel Mom's presence and so that he could gather Israel. Now he and Mom are finally together, and they can continue to gather Israel hand in hand.

As many of you know, Dad was always very optimistic and would always say that "He was better today than yesterday, and if he wasn't he was doing it wrong." Well, he has done it right and he is better today than yesterday because he is finally back together with Loma. They look forward to the Millennium and to seeing all of you again.

Funeral services will be held Saturday, December 3, 2022, 10:00am at the Highland 5th Ward in South Jordan, 10115 S. Yorkshire Drive, South Jordan Utah. Viewings will be held Friday, December 2, 2022, from 6-8:00pm at McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 S. Redwood Road and again Saturday 8:30-9:45am at the church. Interment will be next to his wife.


Topic: Arnold Ashby Funeral Service

Webinar ID: 929 3379 9974

Or by telephone, dial: +1 (669) 900-6833



To order memorial trees or send flowers to the family in memory of Arnold Ashby, please visit our flower store.

Service Schedule

Past Services

Viewing Service

Friday, December 2, 2022

6:00 - 8:00 pm (Mountain time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.


Saturday, December 3, 2022

8:30 - 9:45 am (Mountain time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.

Funeral Service

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Starts at 10:00 am (Mountain time)

Enter your phone number above to have directions sent via text. Standard text messaging rates apply.


Visits: 1134

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the
Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Service map data © OpenStreetMap contributors

Send Flowers

Send Flowers

Plant A Tree

Plant A Tree