Contact Us Today
Military Funeral Service in Utah
To you who have dedicated a portion of your lives to the defense of our country: THANK YOU!
The rendering of military funeral honors is a way to show the nation’s deep gratitude to those who, in times of war and peace, have faithfully defended the country. The ceremonial paying of respect is the final demonstration a grateful nation provides to its veterans’ families.
The tradition of providing military funeral honors, in some form, began in ancient Greece and Rome. The funeral honor protocol of today traces its roots to these ancient ceremonies as well as American history.
U.S. law now mandates the rendering of military funeral honors for a veteran, honorably discharged, if requested by the family, provided at no cost by the Department of Defense. McDougal Funeral Home can assist you in requesting military funeral honors.
- As provided by law, an honor guard detail for the burial of an eligible veteran shall consist of not less than two members of the Armed Forces. One member of the detail shall be a representative of the parent branch of service of the deceased veteran.
- The honor detail will perform a ceremony that includes the folding and presentation of the American flag to the next of kin. This flag is generally draped on the casket during the viewing and funeral service. The folding ceremony is performed prior to the internment of the casket.
- The honor guard will perform the playing of “Taps.”
- Twenty-one gun salute – performed by the VFW or other military group. Not every branch of the military performs the twenty-one gun salute.
- Headstone – stating years of service
- Gravesite – at the Utah Veterans Memorial Park, Camp Williams, Utah, the veteran is interred free of charge.
Who is eligible for military service honors?
- Military members on active duty
- Military retirees
- Members and former members of the Selected Reserve
- Eligible U.S. veterans of any war
- Other U.S. veterans who served at least one term of enlistment and separated under conditions other than dishonorable.
Let the knowledgeable staff at McDougal Funeral Home assist you in honoring the selfless services rendered by yourself or your loved one.